The beauty and life of your carpet depend on the care it receives. Proper cleaning will keep it looking great for its full lifetime, help improve your indoor air quality, and keep your carpet warranties intact.
Carpet cleaning is all about developing a routine. If you get into a good regime – and keep to it – you will see great results. Here are some guidelines to keep your carpet clean and looking great:
- Vacuum at least once a week – and more frequently in high traffic areas – using a quality vacuum cleaner. An inexpensive machine may remove surface dirt but will not effectively remove the hidden dirt and particles embedded in the pile. Therefore, it is wise to invest in a good, reputable vacuum cleaner to suck up the dirt you can’t see and prolong the beauty and life of your carpet. Also remember to select a vacuum setting to match the height of the carpet so it will clean efficiently without damaging fibres. Let your vacuuming strokes overlap so you cover the entire carpet.
- Stop dirt at the door by using mats outside and inside entrances, and taking dirty shoes off when you enter the house. To protect your carpet, place a water-absorbent mat inside exterior doors to cope with wet shoes and boots.
To get the most out of your vacuuming regime, remember:
- A quick once-over does not achieve much cleaning. Slow and steady does the trick.
- Don’t ignore corners and crevices where dust builds.
- “Top-down” cleaning saves the step of vacuuming again after dusting. So, it makes sense to dust blinds, windowsills, and furniture surfaces first and then vacuum away all the fallen dust.
- Remember to replace or empty vacuum bags when they are half to two-thirds full as this improves the efficacy of the vacuum. Don’t wait until the vacuum cleaner has reached saturation point.
- Think about occasionally re-arranging your room, and moving heavy furniture to new positions. Shifting furniture periodically will renew the feel of your room, and help avoid excessive pile crushing. Carpet protectors under the legs of tables, chairs, and other furniture will also help distribute the weight.
- Protect your carpet when moving furniture. When moving heavy wheeled furniture such as a piano you can prevent damage by placing a protective barrier of heavy cardboard or plywood between the wheels and the carpet.
- Protect your carpet from prolonged periods of direct sunlight with blinds, shades, or awnings.
- Clean spots and spills promptly with products that do not damage the carpet or cause it to re-soil. Follow the manufacturer or supplier’s recommendations on cleaning, and never rub your carpet surface too hard as you can damage the twist of the fibres. Remember dabbing is always better than vigorous rubbing.
- Have your carpets professionally deep-cleaned every 12 to 18 months to remove embedded dirt and grime. KBAC Flooring will be happy to provide guidance regarding qualified and trusted cleaning companies.